The demand for life coaches is surging, as life coaching has emerged as the second-fastest growing industry in the world, exhibiting an yearly growth rate of 6.7%.
Let’s discuss what life coaching is and how it can be beneficial for you.
What Is Life Coaching?
Coming straight to the question, “what is life coaching?” Now, there’s a lot of confusion and misunderstanding around the term “life coaching.” Some consider it a modern form of counseling, whereas others see it as an evolved version of therapy.
In reality, life coaching is a blend of different concepts. It’s the process of helping you find the right direction in life and addressing interpersonal and intrapersonal issues like lack of motivation, lack of confidence and poor time management etc,.
By now, you must have already realized what a life coach does. A life coach is a trained professional who specializes in maximizing your potential, helping you overcome your fears and insecurities, and enabling you to achieve your goals. A life coach can help you tackle a wide range of issues in your personal and professional life.
Please note that life coaching is different from therapy, counseling, and mentoring. Life coaches help you overcome specific life issues and improve certain aspects of your life.
Therefore, the relationship between a life coach and their client is more like a mutual partnership than a one-way street. Working with a life coach is like having a partner who helps you make the right life decisions and become the best version of yourself.
Why Should You Have a Life Coach?
People who hire a life coach achieve an ROI of 600%, with the results being more significant for managers and executives. Working with a life coach can instill a positive impact on your life in multiple ways.
Let’s look at the key reasons why you should hire a life coach.
Find Your Purpose in Life
What do you want from life? Many people struggle to find their purpose in life. This struggle can sometimes lead to an existential crisis, depression and a feeling of uncertainty. Without knowing what drives us to live a good life, we may feel demotivated to try and achieve success.
The purpose of life is an idea of who you are and figuring out what adds meaning to your life. And often, our purpose is right in front of our eyes, but we just can’t see it. A life coach helps you find your life purpose, which can be a life-changing revelation.
Self-awareness is one of the most important qualities one can develop. And you’ll be surprised to know that 95% of the people believe they are self-aware, while only 10-15% of them actually are.
You can be one of three types of people. One, you could lack self-awareness and know about it. Second, you could lack self-awareness and not know about it. And third, you can be self-aware.
If you are self-aware, give a pat on your back. But if you’re not, a life coach can help you develop self-awareness and build a deeper relationship with yourself.
Learn to Be in the Present
When was the last time you didn’t dwell on your past or worry about your future? Thinking about your future and planning is important, but there needs to be a “stop” button. In pursuit of a bright future, most people miss living in the present and enjoying the process.
A life coach helps you stay in the present and enjoy the journey instead of focusing on the result. This can have a significant impact on your mental health, as it’ll help you clear your mind and avoid overthinking.
Become a Better Problem Solver
Problems are the essence of life. Every person has problems, but their ability to solve them is what makes them different from others. Problem-solving is an essential quality that will help you in every area of life, from personal to professional.
However, most people take an incorrect approach to problem-solving. Instead of solving the problems, they try to dodge them and avoid them in the future.
A life coach helps you face your problems instead of running away from them. They teach you to embrace life hurdles and develop a problem-solving mindset. A life coach changes your perspective and the way you look at problems.
Learn to Set and Achieve Goals
Only 20% of people set goals, and 70% of them fail to achieve those goals. Goal setting can be a tricky process. Most people end up setting colossal goals that are so difficult to achieve that they give up without even trying. On the other hand, some people set goals so small that they don’t see any results even after working towards them.
A life coach guides you through the complex process of goal-setting. They improve your understanding of your existing and future requirements and how you can set short-term and long-term goals to fulfill them.
Skyrocket Your Productivity
You set goals and promise to work towards them. But when the time comes, you end up procrastinating. Relatable? Setting goals is important, but to achieve them, you need to be productive. This also applies to a professional environment where you want to get more done in less time, but you just can’t.
A life coach can skyrocket your productivity by helping you take charge of your time. You’ll be able to make your life more structured, thereby increasing your chances of achieving your goals.
Learn to Take Responsibility for Your Actions
Ask yourself this, and be honest with yourself. Why did you not reach your goals? If you’re enforcing your failure on circumstances, you’re not taking responsibility for your actions. Most people fail to achieve their goals because they don’t put in the needed work. Maybe they’re not motivated enough, bad at time management, or distracted.
A life coach teaches you to become accountable and take responsibility for your actions. Taking responsibility will help you identify your mistakes and avoid them in the future.
Top Qualities of a Life Coach
The benefits of hiring a life coach can’t be stressed enough and here’s how they can help you achieve your life goals.
- Great at Listening: A major part of a life coach’s job is to listen to their client’s problems. Each person is different and has unique life challenges. A life coach must have active listening skills so that they can understand what their clients need and hence are able to address client’s needs accordingly.
- Curiosity: The job of a life coach is to investigate their clients’ lives. Hence, they have to be curious. A good life coach should be interested in meeting and learning about new people and due to this skill they are able to get the clients to open up and speak about what’s on their mind.
- Asking the Right Questions: Just like a therapist, a life coach will ask you questions that he/she might be trying to run away from. A life coach can help you reflect into your life by asking the right questions and helping you think through and respond.
- Not Judgmental: A good life coach will never be judgmental. However, they’ll be honest. If they feel one or more of your qualities or actions impede your growth, they’ll point it out.
- Adaptable: Again, no two people are same. Each person has their issues. To be effective at their jobs, life coaches have to be adaptive and adjust themselves according to their client’s situations.
- Strategic and Goal-Oriented: The role of a life coach is to help their clients achieve their life goals. Hence, a life coach must be strategic and goal-oriented. They should help you identify and define key goals you need to follow to lead a happy and more fulfilling life.
- Challenging: A life coach should help you get out of your comfort zone by challenging you at every point in life. They’ll keep pushing you forward until you conquer your fears and become more confident.
- Holds You Accountable: A life coach will hold you responsible for your actions. The coach will constantly monitor your progress, and if you make mistakes, he/she will outright hold you accountable for them. This way, you’ll be able to identify, avoid, and learn from your mistakes.
- Passionate: Lastly, a life coach should be passionate about what they do. They can’t help you live life with passion and fulfillment if they’re not passionate about helping you.
If you’re stuck in life, a life coach can help. People often burden themselves to solve all their life problems on their own. A life coach can lift that burden off your shoulders and work with you as your life partner. If you want to take charge of your life and head towards your goals, but somehow you can’t, it’s time to hire a life coach.
uExcelerate offers a marketplace of 150 coaches. This marketplace includes a plethora of skilled and certified life coaches that can help you identify the areas in your life that are hindering you from reaching your fullest potential and consequently also help you develop new skills to overcome those problems. Whether these problems are related to your personal relationships, finances or professional issues, your life coach at uExcelerate will help you navigate around those problems and help you adapt new perspectives to enhance yourself.
Reach out to us at [email protected] or visit our website www.uexcelerate.com to find out more.