Why do we need to celebrate Women’s day, asked one senior director in the company I worked in some years ago. Well, its just a day to recognize the woman for what she’ s worth and showcase her inner beauty to the world! We had a round of discussions and finally he gave in and said, as you wish!!
Controversy clouds the history of International Women’s Day. The concept of a “woman’s day” caught on in Europe. On March 19, 1911 (the 40th anniversary of the Paris Commune, a radical socialist government that briefly ruled France in 1871), the first International Woman’s Day was held, drawing more than 1 million people to rallies worldwide. What matters is that today it s become a global celebration across geographies.
Whether its Indra Nooyi, Deepali Goenka, Kamala Harris, Francesca Reicherter, Monica A Ribero, or any other leader in the world, they all made it there with their toil and personal strengths. They were extremely good at establishing connections that made them influential and successful.
Human beings relate to human beings. We are social creatures. We learn through stories. How we perceive things, what we believe, what actions we choose to take are all based on whatever stories we’re telling ourselves, individually and collectively. The only thing that’s changed is the type of tools that we use to share the story. What we need to understand is that we should be focused on what we are doing and always look slightly ahead to what’s coming because it could change your life.
What makes a woman successful? Few things I firmly believe in are as follows:
- Understanding your self – Being authentic to who you are truly matters as otherwise you will not be able to walk the full length of your goals successfully.
- Working hard- There is no substitute for hard work long term.
- Knowing your ‘why’- What drives you to chase a dream/an idea/ a belief or a thought. What motivates and gives meaning to it?
- Do not give up and keep going- When the going gets tough, the tough get going is the key to be kept in mind if you want to be successful especially in the workplace today.
- Use your resources to build your brand and make a difference by investing time /money/energy in what you firmly believe in.
You are Unique- always remember that and you will find your own North Star to guide you ahead.
Women’s day is a celebration for one and all across the world-rich or poor, black or white, young manager or senior leader, or even homemaker, whatever role you play in life and want to be remembered for, go for it all the way! Climb your Everest, and the world will be at your feet! Let go of your fear and put on your best gear. Let us celebrate this day together!! We believe in you and would love to partner up with you to accelerate your Journey towards your Goals.
The writer Parineeta Mehra is a leadership coach and available at uExcelerate for individual/group coaching.